Thursday, January 6, 2011

A slither of apple

My routine at the moment is come home from work, take a flying leap onto the trainer, whip out ~40km of some kind of effort on the fixie, shower, change, out to the paddock to work and feed the mare. Yesterday I was running a little behind schedule, so decided to work more on acceptance of the bit, when bridling that is!.

I finely sliced some apples, to use as a 'sweetner' in my hand under the bit, to encourage Maz to stop moving her muzzle around (avoiding the bit) and to open her mouth by herself. The  best laid plans....

After catching her, showing her gums to another agistee (that's another story!) I got the bridle, and thought I'd try as per usual first up. She did nothing. As in, no moving of her head to avoid my hand with the bit in it. She didn't open her mouth, but she didn't say "I ain't going near that thing with my mouth either". So I slipped my thumb in her mouth, slide the bit in as she opened up and the deed was simply done. As soon as the headpiece was over her ears, I gave her some apple anyway. And so it went. After five goes, a few with some little head dodges, but more out of tedium than anything else, I took the bridle off for the final time, thrilled with the progress we had made. A few days off, some TLC and chill out time, and a back step with the work load, and Maz's attitude is back on track, and back to being her more pleasant willing self.


Sometimes having too much to do, resulting in cutting back on other things and compromising on what can get done, is a bonus, not a failure.

In other news, I've been checking out heavy duty, snow-proof winter riding gear (boots, gloves etc) while the Aussie dollar is strong, and it's snowing in the northern hemisphere. It's difficult to get very solid, truly cold-proof cold weather gear in Australia (stuf that is Raynauds-proof!), and it's difficult to get cold weather gear at a reasonable price. So I have been shopping online, looking at pictures of amazing looking lined, waterproofed, snowtread boots in snowcovered fields, while it is 35 humid degrees outside. Somehow, it feels just a little ironic...

No comments:

Post a Comment